Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Credit Card Conversations

I called this morning to close a credit card that has not been used in a couple of years...cause it's probably a little dangerous to have all sorts of credit you could never repay if you happened to "need" it for an "emergency." It went a little something like this...
"I understand you want to make some changes you your account"
"yeah, I'd like to close it"
"ok, while I process that do you mind answering a few questions for me?" (meaning) "before I close your account I'd like a chance to try to talk you out of it"
"go ahead" (meaning) "I'd like to see you try"
"why are you closing your account with us today?"
"I'm not using credit cards anymore"
"what other card are you going to use in case of an emergency??!" (with such urgency!)
"I have an emergency savings account"
"and what rewards does this savings account give you for your money"
"I earn interest"
"what do they give you, .25%?" (what...is this even something...are there accounts that give you a quarter of a percent??)
"no, I earn 4.5%"
"what about cash back on your gas purchases, grocery purchases, even phone bills, you can earn 3% back on all of these, that could be up to $200 a year on your phone bills in a year!" (obviously she has no faith in my ability to do math in my head...or she thinks that people pay a small fortune in phone bills)
"I'm really not interrested in any rewards"
"you don't want to earn 3% back on your purchases?"
"No, I just want to close the account."

6 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Next time you should say "In case of an emergency, I'm going to call you at home and beg for money. What kind of rewards can you offer me for that?"

June 3, 2008 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Haha! That's so funny! I'm not as nice as you and I would have said no I don't want to hear it.

June 4, 2008 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger Charin Adams said...

Love it! :) But yeah, my bank only pays .50 on a regular savings account, terrible huh?

June 5, 2008 at 12:02 AM  
Blogger MagenRanae said...

Hehe...Good Job, Joy!!! That's awesome.

I'm with Charin, I think ours only pays .75%. Needless to say, that's NOT where we'll be keeping OUR emergency fund.

June 6, 2008 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger MagenRanae said...

OH, I forgot to mention: I think our phone bill IS a small fortune!

June 6, 2008 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger tsbjf said...

Rachel's comment was funny! And that is amazing that you get 4.5%, that's really good right now. We don't have a savings account. Just checking, and then our extra Jeremy puts into the stock market, so that mula is our emergency fund. Credit card people are terribly pushy, that's for sure. I like our credit card though, we get 1% back on everything and that really adds up.

June 7, 2008 at 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Write to me at: joy@AppleBlossomStudio.com