Monday, April 14, 2008

Re-Upholstery: cost analysis

Our expenses so far has been as follows:

Salvation Army Couch (with much potential!): $45
U-Haul rental: $50
Fabric: $120
How-to Book: $8
Staple Gun: $30
Other general supplies: $25

I found a GREAT deal on fabric....otherwise this process probably wouldn't be saving much money. As you can see we've spent almost $300 already, so as it is a great savings over the $945 couch we intended to purchase, it is not too much of a savings over the any-old-value-priced-sofa from the furniture store. But...I am the kind of person that doesn't like my home to look like everyone else's, so, a custom-upholstered piece from the middle of last century suits me well. :)

Everything I had read so far about re-upholstery said to start small...I am glad I didn't. I think that if I had started with a smaller piece and found out how much work it was going to be, I would not even have attempted a 7 foot couch. :) I think this re-upholstery stuff is great fun...heh...but I wouldn't suggest doing it alone. Having a wonderful helper that is much stronger than I am has proven invaluable! Also...it would be ideal to have a helper who has done this sort of thing before...or is quite overly-confident in their abilities to do just about anything. :) Heh....It's been really fun for me because I have not yet doubted my ability to make this couch wonderful...it actually makes me laugh how cocky I feel about it....because as we all know...pride comes before the fall! Stay tuned for my first mistakes! :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

I love having projects that make you feel productive!

April 14, 2008 at 5:04 PM  
Blogger MagenRanae said...

Way to go, Joyful. I have SO loved working to get to see more of your project.

Keep the posts coming! :)

April 14, 2008 at 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Write to me at: joy@AppleBlossomStudio.com